This category refers to the overall size of a cell phone and how it compares in size to other cell phones currently available.
- Ultra-small cell phones are much smaller and weigh much less than standard-sized cell phones. The heaviest phone in this category is 3.2 ounces. All of the cell phones in this category are small enough to slip comfortably into a shirt pocket.
- Small cell phones are smaller and weigh less than standard-sized cell phones. Small cell phones will fit into a shirt pocket, although you may notice that you are carrying a cell phone. The heaviest cell phone in this category is 4.3 ounces.
- Standard cell phones are neither large nor small and not unusually heavy. Most of these cell phones will fit in a shirt pocket, but may be somewhat burdensome to carry there. The heaviest cell phone in this category is 5.4 ounces.
- Large cell phones have a noticeable size and heft for them. Most of these cell phones tend to weigh more than 6 ounces (that's half a pound)
We categorized cell phones according to the following process:
1) The manufacturer-supplied height, width, depth, and weight were multiplied together to determine size scores for each phone.
2) The cell phones were ranked in size score order from lowest size score to highest.
3) Categories were created where significant differences between the size scores of two cell phones appeared.